Jason P. Van Vliet
Professor of Dogmatology
B.A. Honors, Trinity Western University, 1992
M.Div., Theological College of Canadian Reformed Churches, 1996
M.Th., McMaster Divinity College, 2005
Th.D., Theological University of Apeldoorn, 2009
Dr. Van Vliet is professor of Dogmatology, after serving as a pastor for thirteen years. He completed a Th.D. at the Theological University in Apeldoorn in doctrinal studies, focussing on the teachings of John Calvin regarding the image of God.
Dissertation and Thesis
- Children of God: the Imago Dei in John Calvin and His Context. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2009.
- Arbitrium Humanum: Liberum vel Liberandum? An Historical-Theological Study of John Calvin’s Doctrine of the Will. Thesis. McMaster University.
- Growing in the Gospel. Hamilton: CRTS Lucerna Publications, forthcoming.
- Living Waters from Ancient Springs: Essays in Honour of Cornelis Van Dam. Edited by J. Van Vliet. Eugene: Pickwick Publications, 2011.
Articles and Essays
- “The Freed Will: Can Augustine Teach Us to See Calvin in a New Light?” in Learning from the Past: Essays on Reception, Catholicity, and Dialogue in Honour of Anthony N. S. Lane. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, forthcoming.
- “The Two Books Debate: What if Scripture and Science Seem to Say Different Things?” in Correctly Handling the Word of Truth. M. te Velde and G.H. Visscher. Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2014.
- “De mens volgens de Heidelbergse Catechismus” in Handboek Heidelbergse Catechismus. A. Huijgen, J. Fesko, A. Siller. Utrecht: J.H. Kok, 2013.
- “Specious Pacification and Pleasant Consensus: Calvin’s Ecumenical Efforts in 1549” in Living Waters from Ancient Springs: Essays in Honour of Cornelis Van Dam. Edited by J. Van Vliet. Eugene: Pickwick Publications, 2011. This essay was first presented at the Sixteenth Century Conference 2010 (Montreal, Canada).
- “‘As a son to his father’: An Overlooked Aspect of the Imago Dei in Calvin” presented at The International Congress on Calvin Research 2006 (Emden, Germany); publication of this speech in J. Selderhuis, ed. Calvinus sacrorum literarum interpres. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2008.
- “The Freedom of the Will and the Fan of Fig Leaves : an Historical & Theological Investigation Concerning Baltasar Hubmaier's Anthropology with a Reformed Appraisal.” Koinoinia 20, Spring 2003.
- Various articles in Clarion, a magazine associated with the Canadian Reformed Churches, and Christian Renewal, a magazine associated with the United Reformed Churches of North America.
- "Specious Pacification and Pleasant Consensus: Calvin's Ecumenical Efforts in 1549" presented at the Sixteenth Century Conference 2010 (Montreal, Quebec).
- "Liberty in Things Above and Below: Were Calvin and Melanchthon on the same page?" presented at The Sixteenth Century Conference 2007 (Minneapolis, Minnesota).
- "Defaced or Destroyed? The Imago Dei in Calvin and Bullinger" presented at the The Sixteenth Century Conference 2006 (Salt Lake City, Utah).