Dr. Cornelis Van Dam
Emeritus Professor of Old Testament, 2011.
B.A., Wilfrid Laurier University,1968
B.D., Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary, 1971 (includes one year at Westminster Theological Seminary, 1969-69)
M.Th., Knox College through the Toronto School of Theology and the University of Toronto, 1979
Th.D., Theological University of Kampen, 1986
Dr. Van Dam served as professor of Old Testament from 1981-2011. Prior to that he served as pastor for ten years. He completed a Th.D. in Old Testament studies at the Theological University of Kampen with a dissertation on the Urim and Thummim.
Dissertation and Thesis
The Urim and Thummim. A Study of an Old Testament Means of Revelation. 2 volumes. Th.D. dissertation, Kampen, The Netherlands: Uitgeverij Van den Berg 1986.
- In the Beginning: Listening to Genesis 1 and 2. Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2021.
- Your Word is our Light: Celebrating Fifty Years of the Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary. Edited by C. Van Dam & J. Van Vliet. Hamilton: Lucerna CRTS Publications, 2019.
- Hope and Comfort in the Book of Job. Winnipeg: Premier Publishing, 2017.
- The Deacon: Biblical Foundations for Today's Ministry of Mercy. Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2016.
- The Elder: Today’s Ministry Rooted in All of Scripture [Korean translation]. Heon Soo Kim, trans. Seoul: Sungyak Press, 2012.
- God and Government: Biblical Principles for Today: An Introduction and Resource. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2011.
- The Elder: Today’s Ministry Rooted in All of Scripture. Explorations in Biblical Theology. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2009.
- Fathers and Mothers at Home and at School. Reformed Guardian, New Series, no. 8; Kelmscott, Western Australia, n.p., 2000.
- Perspectives on Worship, Law and Faith: The Old Testament Speaks Today. Kelmscott, Western Australia: Pro Ecclesia, 2000.
- The Urim and Thummim. A Means of Revelation in Ancient Israel. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1997
- Divorce and Remarriage in the Light of Old Testament Principles and Their Application in the New Testament. Winnipeg: Premier, 1996.
Articles and Essays
- “Urim and Thummim” on SBL’s Bible Odyssey website: https://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/people/related-articles/urim-and-thummim
- “Inter-religious Relations and the Challenge of Multiculturalism: Some Biblical Principles” in Hallvard Hagelia and Markus Zehnder, eds., Interreligious Relations: Biblical Perspectives, 31-50. London, UK: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2017.
- “Divination, Magic.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Prophets, edited by Mark J. Boda and J. Gordon McConville, 159-62. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Academic, 2012.
- “This is my Father’s World.” Christian Legal Journal (Spring 2010):17-19.
- “Golden Calf.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch, edited by T. Desmond Alexander and David W. Baker, 368-71. Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2003.
- “Priestly Clothing.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch, edited by T. Desmond Alexander and David W. Baker, 643-46. Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2003.
- “Rod, Staff.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch, edited by T. Desmond Alexander and David W. Baker, 693-94. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Academic, 2003.
- “The Diaconal Task. Some Old Testament Roots and Their Continuing Significance.” Diakonia 2.2 (1988): 30-36. Reprinted in Deacons Go Visiting! edited by W. Huizinga, 5-24. The Reformed Guardian, New Series, no. 16; Kelmscott, W.A.: n.p., 2003.
- Articles in The New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis, edited by W. Van Gemeren. 5 vols. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1997. For a complete list see Living Waters From Ancient Springs, edited by Jason van Vliet, 237-39. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2011.
- “Reformed or Evangelical?” In The Challenge of Being Reformed Today, edited by J. Mulder, 102-107. Publication 3 of the Burlington Reformed Study Centre. Winnipeg: Premier, 1999.
- “Elder.” In Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology, edited by W. Ellwell, 197-99. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1996.
- “Divorce and Remarriage. A Closer Look at Some Exegetical Arguments for an Indissoluble Marriage Bond and Some Consequences.” Koinonia 17.1 (1996): 1-27.
- "Urim and Thummim.” In Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology, edited by W. Ellwell, 794. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1996.
- “Duidelijke Taal. De boodschap van de hemelen volgens Psalm 19:5a.” In Een Sprekend Begin. Opstellen aangeboden aan Prof. Drs. H. M. Ohmann, edited by R. ter Beek, E. Brink, C. Van Dam, and G. Kwakkel, 86-93. Kampen: Uitgeverij Van den Berg, 1993.
- “When Brothers Dwell in Unity [Ps 133].” In The Challenge of Church Union. Speeches and Discussions on Reformed Identity and Ecumenicity, edited by C. Van Dam, 201-212. Publication 1 of the Burlington Reformed Study Centre. Winnipeg: Premier, 1993. Originally published in Clarion 41.19 (1992): 399-402.
- “The Burnt Offering in Its Biblical Context.” Mid-America Journal of Theology 7 (1991): 195-206.
- “The Incense Offering in its Biblical Context.” Mid-America Journal of Theology 7 (1991): 179-184.
- “The Origin and Character of Sacrifice in Scripture.” Mid-America Journal of Theology 7 (1991): 3-16.
- “How Shall We Read Genesis 1?” Mid-America Journal of Theology 6 (1990): 19-32.
- The Meaning of bišegagâ.” In Unity in Diversity, edited by R. Faber, 13-24. Hamilton: The Senate of the Theological College of the Canadian Reformed Churches, 1989.
- “The Elder as Preserver and Nurturer of Life in the Covenant.” In Proceedings of the International Conference of Reformed Churches June 19-28, 1989, 277-298 Winnipeg: Premier, 1989. Reprinted in Lux Mundi 8.3 (1989): 9-12; 8.4 (1989): 4-9.
- “Education in the Word in an Age of the Picture. In Bible Instruction and Curriculum. Proceedings of the Bible History Conference August 1996. Hamilton: CARE, 1997. Originally published in Clarion 37.25 (1988): 524-525; 38.1 (1989): 8-9; 38.2 (1989): 31-32.
- “The Elder in the Gate. Some Aspects of the Judicial Task of Elders in the Old Testament and its Relevance for Today. Diakonia 1.4 (1988): 11-16.
- “Urim and Thummim.” In The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, edited by G.W. Bromiley, 4:957-59. Revised edition. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1988.
- “Wisdom, Knowledge, and Teaching.” In Thinking Christianly About Education: A Reader for Use at the Canadian Reformed Teachers College, Hamilton, Ontario, compiled by T. M. P. van der Ven, 110-117. 1987. This article had earlier been published in C.R.T.A. Magazine 15.2 (1985).
For a CV and a more detailed bibliography and a CV, see here.