Frequently Asked Questions

What are the pre-requisites for admission to the Master of Divinity program?

In order to be admitted to the M.Div. program at CRTS, an applicant must have a Bachelor degree with a minimum average of 70%. In addition, an applicant must have two years of Greek, one year of Hebrew (though two years is strongly recommended) and one year of Latin – all at university level. Full details can be found here.

Do I really need to have a Bachelor degree before I can be admitted to the M.Div. program?

Yes. The Master of Divinity program is a graduate program and a Bachelor degree must be earned before applying.

Why do I need to know Greek and Hebrew before I come to CRTS for the M.Div. program?

At CRTS we believe that it is important that preachers of the gospel should be able to study the Word of God in the original languages. This allows preachers to interpret the Scriptures for themselves and not be dependent on what commentaries or other resources tell them. For this reason, in the exegesis courses at CRTS students learn to interpret God’s Word starting from the original text in Hebrew or Greek. While Hebrew and Greek are taught at CRTS, they are taught at an advanced level.

What type of Greek or Hebrew do I need to take?

Take Classical Greek (or Biblical Greek) and Biblical Hebrew before applying to CRTS. Applicants do not need to know modern Greek or Hebrew.

What does “2 years” of Hebrew or Greek mean?

Two years of Greek or Hebrew means four one-semester courses (assuming that a semester has a length of about 12-14 weeks). At most North American universities a semester course has 3 credits. This means that 2 years of Hebrew or Greek would translate to 12 credits.

May I take my language pre-requisite courses online?

It is preferred that prospective students take their Hebrew and Greek instruction in a traditional classroom environment as part of their undergraduate degree. There are several reasons for this requirement. One is that languages are best learned in a classroom environment with a well-trained instructor. Another is that your results will then appear on a transcript, which will make it easier for us to gauge your level of language competency when we consider your application for admission. A third reason is that fewer and fewer students are taking language courses (particularly Hebrew) in a university setting, so ongoing demand for such courses from students such as yourself can help to keep them alive. If on-campus instruction is not available, students may opt for BibleMesh’s online language courses ( For Hebrew, students should then take BibleMesh up to and including the “Hebrew Reading 2 Level," and for Greek, students should take BibleMesh Greek Reading Levels 1, 2, and 3. Students taking BibleMesh must take the Transcript Service Package (sometimes referred to as the Academic Support Package) so that they can include transcripts of their results in their application to CRTS. 

Apart from Hebrew and Greek, what other courses are important for me to take as part of my B.A.?

Applicants to the M.Div. program must also have one year of Latin before applying to CRTS (this requirement is waived for applicants from non-Western countries). In addition, it is recommended that students take English, History and Philosophy courses during their undergraduate studies.

Do you offer any Master’s program that does not require knowledge of Biblical languages?

No, the only Master’s level program offered at CRTS is the Master of Divinity. Two years of Greek, one year of Hebrew (two years strongly recommended) and one year of Latin are required for admission to the M.Div. program. Full details can be found here.

Does CRTS offer any other programs besides the M.Div.?

Yes, CRTS also offers a Bachelor of Theology (a three-year program) and a Diploma of Theological Studies (a two-year program). For more information on the B.Th., please see here. For more information on the Dip.Th.St. degree, please see here.

Does the seminary offer online courses?

No, the seminary does not offer any online courses.

Are there special requirements for international students?

Yes, those international students for whom English is not their first language must provide a TOEFL score with their application. Full details on the requirements for international students can be found here.

As an international student, what type of visa/permit do I need to study in Canada?

International students are required to obtain a study permit to enter Canada. More details can be found here.

Students are not required to obtain a work permit, even though students at CRTS are required to complete an internship as part of the PTP program. New government rules allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part-time off campus and full-time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.

As an international student, will I have health insurance coverage in Canada?

No. International students are not covered under OHIP nor does the Seminary offer any type of health insurance. International students must come to CRTS with at least a 30-day travel insurance policy and then can obtain a more permanent health insurance plan once in Canada. The administration office can assist international students with this.

How do I apply to CRTS?

Please see here for the full application procedure.

What is the application deadline?

International students should submit their application documents by January 31 in order for them to have enough time to apply for a student visa. Applications from Canadian students should be received no later than March 15. If this deadline cannot be met for some reason, please contact the Registrar.

What is the tuition fee?

Tuition is $2,300 per year. Full tuition details can be found here.

Does CRTS offer any scholarships or other financial assistance?

CRTS does not offer any scholarships or financial aid. However, members of the Canadian Reformed Churches may apply for financial aid through the Needy Student Fund of the Canadian Reformed Churches. Please contact the Registrar for more information.

Does the seminary offer housing for their students?

CRTS does not have dedicated student housing. However, the administrative office can offer assistance in finding suitable housing. Further details can be found here.

What is the cost of living for a student in Hamilton?

The cost of living varies for each person as situations are different. For a general guideline to the cost of living in Hamilton, please see here.

Do I have to be a member of the Canadian Reformed Churches in order to be admitted to CRTS?

Students from other denominations are welcome. Students from denominations with whom the Canadian Reformed Churches do not have ecclesiastical fellowship will be asked to sign a declaration that they agree with the basis of the seminary. CRTS submits to the infallible Word of God and is faithful to the ecumenical creeds and the Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Catechism, and the Canons of Dort.

How do I get a transcript?

Please see here for details on requesting a transcript.